Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
this recipe may look a little intimidating, but it's actually very easy! a nice twist on the same ol' french toast! this could be made with any berry/jam combination that you would like, but blackberries happen to be my favorite!
- 4 slices Texas toast thick bread or 4 slices thick sliced French bread
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar or 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 pint fresh blackberries
- 1⁄4 cup blackberry jam
- Preheat oven to 300. place bread in oven until crusty and kind of hard. Remove bread from oven. Raise oven temperature to 375.
- In medium or large bowl, beat eggs with milk, 1/4c sugar (or splenda), and 1 t vanilla.
- Tear each slice of bread into about 5 or 6 pieces and stir into egg mixture. Let sit.
- In small bowl, combine cream cheese and 1/2 c sugar (or splenda). Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine fresh blackberries and blackberry jam.
- Spray bottom of a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spoon half of bread/egg mixture into bottom of pan.
- Put blackberry mixture on top of bread mixture in pan, by spoonfuls. Do the same with the cream cheese mixture.
- Spoon remaining bread/egg mixture over berries and cream cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes, until fluffy and golden brown.
- Serve with powdered sugar and syrup, if desired.