Recipe by Chef Shadows
I found this recipe at an auction in a box of letters and journals most dating to 1787. SOURCE : OLD HANDWRITTEN RECIEPT by Unknown. Prep time does not include chilling.
- 1 quart blackberry juice, see note
- 1 lb white sugar
- 3 tablespoons nutmeg, grated
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 pint good brandy
Directions See How It's Made
- Tie the spices in a muslin or cheesecloth bag.
- Boil juice, sugar, spices for 15 minutes skimming well.
- Add brandy.
- Cover and set aside to cool.
- When cold, strain out the spices and pour into bottles, sealing with corks.
- NOTE: For blackberry juice : mash berries and strain through several thicknesses of muslin or cheesecloth.