When I make this coffee cake, I have to start with twice as many blackberries as called for because I end up eating them as I go along. I love blackberries! :)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and the 1 cup of sugar.
- Add the beaten egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla; mix until smooth.
- Mix together the 1/2 cup sugar and the blackberries, stirring to coat the berries evenly; set aside.
- Pour cake mixture into a well-greased 9" round cake pan.
- Top cake batter with sugared berries; swirl around gently with a spoon, leaving some on top.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean (if it hits a berry, try somewhere else).
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.