When I make this coffee cake, I have to start with twice as many blackberries as called for because I end up eating them as I go along. I love blackberries! :)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and the 1 cup of sugar.
- Add the beaten egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla; mix until smooth.
- Mix together the 1/2 cup sugar and the blackberries, stirring to coat the berries evenly; set aside.
- Pour cake mixture into a well-greased 9" round cake pan.
- Top cake batter with sugared berries; swirl around gently with a spoon, leaving some on top.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean (if it hits a berry, try somewhere else).
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
I made this when my inlaws were visitng. They rise at dark-thirty and want to know what is for breakfast. So instead of handing them a cereal box and a carton of milk, I whipped this little jewel of a cake up. Easy enough to make with my eyes half opened. Berry, berry good!! Moist and delicious. Your recipe sure made me look good. Thanks!!
I thought that this coffee cake was great because it was sweet, but not too sweet. I used 1/4 a cup of sugar to sweeten the berries, and that was enough. I also used a 8" square baking dish, which requires about 15 extra minutes of cooking time.
Very good on day one, but left out on the counter due to being so moist, it molded by day 2.