Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Yummy southern cobbler
- 4 cups blackberries, fresh
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk or 6 tablespoons sour milk
- Place berries in a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Combine sugar and flour; add water and lemon juice, mixing well.
- Pour syrup over berries; bake at 350° about 15 minutes while preparing the pastry.
- Place pastry over hot berries; brush with melted butter.
- Bake at 425° for 20 to 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.
- Pastry: Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in whipping cream and buttermilk.
- Knead dough 4 or 5 times;.
- roll to about 1/4" thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut dough to fit baking dish.
- Serve cobbler warm with cream and sugar.
- Servings: 8.