Recipe by lindseylcw
an autumn treat, goes well with any cheese or cold meats. From Janet Brinkworth UKTV food vary the chillies according to taste.
Top Review by Abby Girl
I made up this recipe, but found out (by fluke) that I am allergic to blackberries....suprise me!! My husband liked it with salmon, so I might make it for Xmas gifts and keep one little jar for him. I somehow lost my red chilies (from the store to the house) so used 2 jalapenos instead. I did get 5 1/2 pint jars with the leftovers going to the fridge. I canned them using the water bath treatment. Hint: The 1/2 pint jars got "lost" in my big canner, so I used little stone pebbles (the ones you get from a nursery), washed them and put them in an old stock pot. I filled the stock pot up half way to the jars and processed them for 10 minutes. Worked like a charm!!!!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece gingerroot, finely chopped
- 2 red chilies, finely chopped
- 1 lb blackberry
- 45 g caster sugar
- 30 ml red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy based saucepan.
- add red onion, ginger and chilli.
- fry gently 4-5 mins till soft.
- add blackberries and cook 4 mins, stirring now and then.
- add sugar and vinegar and mix well.
- bring to boil and simmer for 25-20 mins until thickened.
- spoon into hot sterilised jars when still hot.
- Cover with wax paper discs and cool.
- once cool seal and store until needed.
- NOTE I have made this with the addition of 3 tbsp Port or Brandy and it was none the worse for it!