Recipe by Ceezie
This originally had 1 tsp of grd cloves and 1 tsp grd nutmeg but I don't care for either of those so I took them out. Recipe Source: Amerian Profile
Top Review by sketchcils
I thought this was a very good recipe. I was looking for some to make with my blackberries, other then cobblers, when I came upon this recipe.
Since I like clove and nutmeg I tried using what the author called the original recipe. If you decide to do this, at the most use 1/2 tsp of each or even just a 1/4 tsp of each. The flavor was just too strong otherwise. Even the overpowering clove and nutmeg taste of the cake I made it was still delicious and I will try it again.
Still contemplating on an icing for it though.
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup blackberry, fresh
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Cream the shortening, eggs, and sugar with a mixer at medium speed. Add the blackberries.
- Mix the buttermilk and baking soda in a small bowl. Combine the flour, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl; mix well.
- Add the buttermilk mixture and the dry ingredients alternately to the creamed mixture; beat well. Pour into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Do not overbake. Cool on a wire rack.