Recipe by BachFromTheDead
This is a very lovely summer pie, sweet, but not cloying, with a buttery cornmeal crust. I used frozen blueberries and blackberries, but feel free to use all blueberries or any other berry you'd like (though you may need to adjust the sugar amounts accordingly per berry swap).
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 small eggs
- 12 ounces blueberries
- 4 1⁄2 ounces blackberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- To make the crust: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a medium bowl, mix the butter and 1/2 cup sugar together until smooth. Incorporate the eggs and extracts and beat until combined. Gradually cream together with the flour mixture and mix until the dough comes together. Separate 1/3 of the dough and set aside.
- Butter a 9 inch pan and press the remaining dough into the pan evenly. Roll and cut the separated dough and set aside. Freeze all of the dugh for approx 30 minutes until firm.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling: In a medium bowl, mix togetherthe vinegar, cornstarch, and sugar and add in the berries. Stir until the berries are fully coated and set aside until needed.
- Assembling/making the Pie: Pour the filling evenly into the chilled pie crust and top with the rolled out dough. Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar and turn the oven up to 375. Place the pie on the middle rack and bake at 375 for 25 minutes, until the crust is golden. Serve cold and refridgerate for up to a week.