Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 large gala apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 cup fresh blackberries or 1 cup frozen blackberrie
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a lightly greased 9-inch round cake pan (with sides that are at least 2 inches high) over low heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar; drizzle honey over brown sugar.
- Arrange apple slices in concentric circles over brown sugar mixture, overlapping as needed; sprinkle with blackberries.
- Beat sugar and remaining 1/2 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Stir together flour and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Spoon batter over blackberries in pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of cake to loosen.
- Invert cake onto serving plate, spooning any topping in pan over cake.