Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Confident Cooking. Freezing time not included.
- 6 cups blackberries or 6 cups black currants (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 egg whites
- Place blackberries, raspberries and half the water into large pan; bring to boil, reduce heat; simmer gently for 3 minutes, or until pulpy; strain through some cheesecloth; return strained mixture to pan; add remaining water.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves; remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Pour mixture into freezer trays and freeze until sorbet is a slushy consistency.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; using a metal spoon, fold egg whites into berry mixture; freeze, stirring occasionally to ensure egg whites are evenly distributed.
- May be served in scoops or scraped; garnish with finely shredded fresh mint leaves and lemon zest.