Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this on pillsbury.com and it is one of the recipes chosen for 2006 Bake-Off 42 which hasn't happened as yet. I liked it because it was easy and made a sweet bruschetta - we enjoyed them a lot and they are easy to prepare. Submitted by Karen Mack of Webster, NY for Bake-Off 42(Orlando 2006). March 23, 2006 update...this was a $10,000.00 winner.
- 1 (11 ounce) can Pillsbury refrigerated crusty french loaf
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened (Neufchatel)
- 1 -2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) bagcascadian farm frozen blackberries, thawed, well drained
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Bake French bread as directed on can.
- Cool 5 minutes.
- Cut ends of loaf; cut loaf crosswise in slices, about 1/2" thick.
- Arrange on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Spray each slice with cooking spray until lightly coated; cover with granulated sugar.
- Return to oven 8-10 minutes longer or until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, beat cheese, almond extract and 1/4 cup powdered sugar with electric mixer on low speed until well combined.
- Spread cheese mixture evenly on bread slices.
- Top each with 3-4 blackberries; sprinkle with almond pieces.
- With small strainer, sprinkle the 3 tablespoons powedered sugar over bruschetta.
These are phenomenal! When I made them I used fresh blackberries and 2 teaspoons of extract. I will probably cut back a bit on the extract as the spread was quite strong and overwhelmed the blackberries just a tad... that might also be because I used fresh instead of frozen blackberries. However, this is a gorgeous dish served on a nice platter and it tastes absolutely fantastic. A perfect brunch item or afternoon tea item. YUM! Update... Made these again for a Mother's Day brunch. Used one teaspoon of extract and the frozen berries as my grocer was out of fresh. Completely divine!! They flew off of the tray. So delicious and so lovely on the tray! Also, I put the refrigerated bread loaf in a Pampered Chef flower-shaped bread tube and they looked absolutely great. This has become my favorite recipe for a quick and fancy appetizer! Wish I could give it 10 stars!