Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A great halloween treat.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted and hot
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter, preferably chunky variety
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted and hot
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 2⁄3 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup dark chocolate syrup
- 1⁄4 cup milk, plus
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Very lightly grease bottom of 9-inch round baking pan.
- Line bottom with parchment or wax paper.
- In a heatproof mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter and peanut butter until smooth.
- Add brown sugar, eggs and vanilla, whisking until smooth.
- Add flour and baking powder.
- Stir with spoon until moistened.
- Stir in 1 cup chopped chocolate chips and scrape bowl well.
- Spoon into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes just until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes in pan.
- Run knife around pan edge to loosen.
- Turn onto cake plate and remove paper.
- Cool 30 minutes before frosting.
- For the frosting: In a 4-cup Pyrex measure or heatproof bowl, combine hot melted butter with semi-sweet chips.
- Stir continuously until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and 1/4 cup of the chocolate syrup.
- Stir until combined. Mixture will thicken and become stiff.
- Add remaining 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup chocolate syrup.
- Stir until smooth.
- Allow frosting to stand 2 minutes.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup chocolate syrup, adjusting if too stiff.
- Frosting should appear smooth and satiny.
- Frost top and sides of cake.
- Set aside.
- For the web decoration: In a small bowl, combine 2/3 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon milk.
- Stir until smooth, adding milk until a slightly runny glaze forms.
- Spoon into a small decorating bag fitted with a round writing tip.
- Work quickly; do not allow fudge frosting to dry.
- Starting in the center of cake, using white glaze, pipe circles on top about 1/2 inches apart.
- Using a toothpick, lightly drag lines through the frosting, from outer edges of cake to center, about 1 inch apart.
- Decorate with spiders and cut into small wedges.
- Store at room temperature.