- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutions)
- 1 teaspoon black walnut extract
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare an 8" square cake pan by lightly buttering.
- Place first four ingredients into a saucepan.
- Cook to soft ball stage (at least 234F if using a candy thermometer), stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
- Wipe down sides of pan to remove any crystals that may have formed.
- Remove from heat; add butter.
- Cool without stirring, until lukewarm.
- Add black walnut extract and nuts; beat until creamy.
- Pour into a greased square pan; cut in squares when completely cool.