Recipe by Theresa/ Thunderbird
This is another Farm Journal One.Fresh cracked black walnuts are best if your lucky enough to have them.Either light or dark brown sugar can be used.Light will make them softer,brown will make them crunchier.
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 3⁄4 cups butter or 1 3⁄4 cups margarine
- 2 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, firm packed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups black walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together flour,salt,soda and cream of tarter.
- Cream butter,add brown and white sugars gradually and beat until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla,mix well.
- Grind nut and coconut (or finely chop) together.
- Add to creamed mixture.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and blend well.
- Chill 1 hour.
- Shape dough into four rolls about 2 inches in diameter.
- Wrap tightly in wax paper and refrigerate.
- Cut rolls into 1/8 inch slices,place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove and cool on wire rack.