Recipe by Caryn
Another recipe from my grandmother. I usually make these at Christmas as well - trying to create a yearly tradition of baking certain cookies.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, beaten well
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup black walnut, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and cream of tarter; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add beaten eggs; mix well.
- Add dry ingredients; mix well.
- Fold in black walnuts.
- Separate dough into 4 parts.
- Roll each part and pat on ends to make flat.
- Refrigerate overnight or longer.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Slice off cookies from the refrigerated rolls and place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until golden light.
- Cool on wire rack.