Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a favorite of all who try it. A woman at work gave the recipe to me many years ago. I love it too.
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Crisco
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black walnut flavoring
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter (for later)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup black walnut
- Mix as for cake.
- For filling: Mix together the ingredients.
- Spread 1/2 batter in long flat pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 filling over this.
- Pour remaining batter over, spread rest of filling on top.
- Spoon 1/2 cup melted butter on top.
- Bake 350°F for about 35 minutes.
My mom (MamaDonna) has made this delicious coffee cake for as long as I can remember. Now that I'm a wife, and soon to be mom, I enjoy making it for my family as well. Somehow the holidays just aren't the same without one of these! It is an excellent breakfast (or dessert) to serve to guests. And I have never met anyone who didn't like it. I agree with my mom, though, you've got to add the confectioner's sugar glaze.
My mother made this recipe when I was a little girl. I have been making it for 25 years, and now my daughters make it too. It boasts a unique and delicious taste (because of the black walnut flavoring). I substitute regular chopped walnuts for the balck walnuts. One thing to perfect it is to drizzle with a 10x sugar glaze. It's the best ever! Enjoy the aroma while baking and gobble it up slightly warm with a cup of coffee!