Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup black walnut, fine chopped
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks all at once.
- Add vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Set aside 1 cup of the dry ingredients.
- Add the remaning flour mixture and the milk in small portions, alternately, mixing well with each addition, starting and ending with an addition of the dry ingredients.
- Mix together, the reserved flour and the nuts, and stir into the batter,mixing just until blended.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
- Fold them into the batter.
- Bake in a 9x5 inch greased and floured loaf pan at 350 about 50-60 minutes, or until done.
- Frost with your favorite icing.
Just like my parents remembered it! Came together wonderfuly and taste great. Hard to find the walnuts needed but oh so worth it. Will defiently make this again. :)
I made this into cupcakes and iced it with a walnut liquer icing (i.e. rum cake style, sugar,butter,water - walnut liquer) It was a hit!!!
Exactly as my husband's family remembers their German Granny making this cake. I only added 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract. Thanks