Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Southern Living. One of their all-time favorites.
Make and share this Black Walnut Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped black walnut
- 1 (3 ounce) can flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- chopped black walnut
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 6 3⁄4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- To make the frosting: in a large mixing bowl, cream butter and cream cheese; gradually add powdered sugar, beating (with an electric mixer) until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla; set aside.
- To make cake: In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and shortening; gradually add sugar, beating well with an electric mixer at medium speed.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk and soda; stir until soda is dissolved.
- Add flour to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
- Mix after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Add in 1 cup walnuts and coconut; stir well.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites (at room temperature) and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; fold egg white mixture into batter.
- Pour batter into 3 greased/floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 22-25 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Press additional chopped walnuts onto sides of cake.
I won't rate this only because I don't think it was the recipe that was the issue. My husband grew up with black walnuts so I made this for him. And he ate it, but like Mikey, "he'll eat anything". Getting an honest opinion from him is impossible. I however thought it was horrible. Apparently black walnuts taste nothing like the plain old regular ones. And while I like most things I do NOT like the taste of black walnuts!!!!! It really was awful. And black walnuts are very expensive so that was just salt in the wound. I ended up pitching it because I couldn't even bring myself to give it away. The point of all this is, if you are not familiar with black walnuts, try them before you make this cake. One day I might be brave and try it again and use regular walnuts.
NurseDi, You are unbelieveable. This was outstanding! I can't believe any one hasn't tried this cake yet! The is the most moist cake that I have ever put my mouth on. Had this Thanksgiving night. Everyone raaaaaaved over it! Thanks for helping make our night special!