Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of the best tasteing cake that I have ever cooked. I take it to family reunions and to nurses and employees of the nursing home that mother is in. Every one like the cake so much that I have given out about thirty or more recipes. This cake in one of my mother favorite cakes that she liked to bake
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped. (I use Granny Smith Apples)
- 1 cup black walnut, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Grease and flour a tube or bundt cake pan and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend eggs, oil, nutmeg, and sugar until creamy.
- Add flour, a little at a time; and blend well.
- Batter will be stiff.
- Fold in apples and nuts.
- Pour into tube or bundt cake pan and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from pan after about 30 minutes.
- Punch holes in top of the cake.
- Mix together topping ingredients in a saucepan.
- Boil for three minutes, stirring frequently.
- Take off the heat and pour topping over cake with a spoon, letting it to seep into the cake holes.
- Brush the sides of the cake with a kitchen brush.
- Let it set for at least 24 hours befor cutting and serving.
We LOVED this cake. My oven needed about 10 min. more of baking time, but otherwise followed the easy directions. Thanks for a GREAT recipe.