Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
In "Luscious Chocolate Desserts' by Lori Longbottom.
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- salt, a pinch
- Melt the chocolate with the cream in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of about 1 1/2 inches of nearly simmering water, whisking until smooth.
- Add the sugar in two batches and whisk until well blended.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time, whisking well after each addition.
- Beat the egg whites and salt with an electric mixer on med-high speed in a big deep bowl, just until the whites form stiff peaks when the beaters are lifted.
- With a whisk or a rubber spatula, fold 1/3 of the chocolate mixture into the egg whites.
- Fold in the remaining chocolate mixture in 2 batches just until well blended.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or to 4 stemmed glasses; refrigerate, covered, for at least 4 hours, or up to 2 days before serving.