Recipe by Pinay0618
For those of us who crave intense chocolate flavor. Recipe is from Smithfield.
Top Review by Carolyn R.
I made this along with a white velvet cake to alternate layers for a black and white wedding theme. Its super moist, very rich and chocolatey! Now it's the most requested chocolate cake I make.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cold espresso
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
Dark Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 1⁄3 cups dark cocoa powder
- 6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray one 10-inch bundt pan or two 9-inch round pans with a nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, coffee, milk and oil. Mix until smooth; batter will be thin.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven 35 to 40 minutes for bundt pan, 25 minutes for 9-inch round pans, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, mix together melted butter and cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Add a small amount of additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.
- Frost cake and garnish as desired.