Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Black sapote aka chocolate pudding fruit. This is divine! In Australia, black sapotes are usually in season in May and they are well worth looking out for. You use them when they are black and disgusting looking and start to look rotten. Unripe sapotes usually take about 4 days to ripen up. Do not attempt this recipe with a half ripe sapote. It will give you the runs.
- 1 cup black sapote, pulp
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 600 ml cream, beaten stiff
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon agar or 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- Soak gelatin/agar in cold water.
- Mash pulp until its smooth.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add agar OR gelatin which has been dissolved in hot water.
- Chill until thickened.
- Beat until light.
- Fold in the whipped cream using a wire whisk.
- Pour into a refrigerator tray and freeze.
- For Vegetarian do not use regular Gelatin use the Agar-agar.