Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is from my "America Cooks" cookbook. It calls for venison, but it should work well with beef, pork or chicken. The original recipe uses the measurements of 3 parts venison, 1 part butter with salt and pepper. I have used specific measurements for the sake of Zaar's recipe format. The pate will keep well in the refrigerator. This is a Charleston, SC recipe. I have not prepared this recipe, but if you try it, I hope you enjoy it!
- Grind the meat with the finest blade of your meat grinder, do this twice.
- Work the pepper into the butter, adding salt to taste.
- Combine the venison and the butter mixture.
- Place in a Pyrex dish and pound with a wooden mallet until the pate forms a solid mass.
- Smooth the top and bake at 325 degrees for approximately 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Chill before serving.
- To serve, slice thinly and serve with hominy or salad.