Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from my "America Cooks" cookbook. It calls for venison, but it should work well with beef, pork or chicken. The original recipe uses the measurements of 3 parts venison, 1 part butter with salt and pepper. I have used specific measurements for the sake of Zaar's recipe format. The pate will keep well in the refrigerator. This is a Charleston, SC recipe. I have not prepared this recipe, but if you try it, I hope you enjoy it!
- Grind the meat with the finest blade of your meat grinder, do this twice.
- Work the pepper into the butter, adding salt to taste.
- Combine the venison and the butter mixture.
- Place in a Pyrex dish and pound with a wooden mallet until the pate forms a solid mass.
- Smooth the top and bake at 325 degrees for approximately 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Chill before serving.
- To serve, slice thinly and serve with hominy or salad.