Recipe by Sue Lau
You may have seen black rice with its exotic coloring. It has a nutty taste similar to wild rice and pairs well with baked meats, poultry, and game.
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
A very interesting recipe. I soaked the rice overnight, steamed it for 40 minutes then topped with all of the optional ingredients. The toppings really make the recipe. It was served with broccoli and vegetarian chicken nuggets. Made for ZWT4 Asian Hot & Steamy Challenge.
- 1 cup black rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon crushed peanuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak rice in enough water to cover for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight), then drain.
- Place rice and the 2 cups water in a non-stick saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until all water is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
- Alternatively, place rice in a rice steamer over boiling water and cook for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Fluff rice before serving.
- Garnish with coconut, sesame seeds, and/or peanuts, if desired (traditional).