Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Something a bit different! Black rice or black sticky rice can usually be found in Asian or Indian stores.
- 500 g black rice
- 250 g raw sugar
- 2 liters water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 -5 cardamom pods
- 2 -3 cloves
- coconut cream, to taste
- If you don't have a pressure cooker, soak the rice for 24 hours before cooking.
- Heat the water and rice in a pot and as the water gets hot, add the sugar. Stir until dissolved.
- Break up the cinnamon, crush the cardamom and cloves with a mortar and pestle. Place the spices in a piece of gauze or muslin and form a bag by closing it with a piece of cotton.
- Pressure cooking method: Submerge the spice bag in the mixture and pressure cook for about 30 minutes.
- When the pressure has come down, open the pot and stir any sedimented rice into suspension and then allow to simmer for about 15 minutes without a lid and with regular stirring on a low flame. This will form a syrup.
- While simmeing occasionally press the spice bag against the pot wall so that more of the spice essence is released.
- Mix well and serve or use a measuring jug to transfer the rice to storage containers.
- Simmering method: Note the level of the water in the pot after you have dissolved the sugar and added the spice bag. You will probably need to simmer for at least 90 minutes so occasionally top up the water and stir well.
- Serve hot with a topping of coconut cream.