1 hr 5 mins
Missy Wombat's Note:
Something a bit different! Black rice or black sticky rice can usually be found in Asian or Indian stores.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1If you don't have a pressure cooker, soak the rice for 24 hours before cooking.
- 2Heat the water and rice in a pot and as the water gets hot, add the sugar. Stir until dissolved.
- 3Break up the cinnamon, crush the cardamom and cloves with a mortar and pestle. Place the spices in a piece of gauze or muslin and form a bag by closing it with a piece of cotton.
- 4Pressure cooking method: Submerge the spice bag in the mixture and pressure cook for about 30 minutes.
- 5When the pressure has come down, open the pot and stir any sedimented rice into suspension and then allow to simmer for about 15 minutes without a lid and with regular stirring on a low flame. This will form a syrup.
- 6While simmeing occasionally press the spice bag against the pot wall so that more of the spice essence is released.
- 7Mix well and serve or use a measuring jug to transfer the rice to storage containers.
- 8Simmering method: Note the level of the water in the pot after you have dissolved the sugar and added the spice bag. You will probably need to simmer for at least 90 minutes so occasionally top up the water and stir well.
- 9Serve hot with a topping of coconut cream.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Rice Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (2756 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2757.5
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 44.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 645.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.0 g
- Sugars 249.7 g
- Protein 32.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: