Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
have not tried this..found it in a very old recipe book...sounds good!!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 6 ounces raisins
- 6 ounces maraschino cherries
- 12 ounces walnuts, chopped
- 8 ounces dates, chopped
- 1 cup seedless black raspberry jam
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream butter, sugar and egg yolks in bowl until light and fluffy. Add mixture of soda and buttermilk, mix well. Add flour and spices, mix well.
- Stir in raisins, cherries, walnuts, dates and jam.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites and vanilla gently into batter.
- Spoon into a greased and floured tube pan.
- Bake at 350* for 1 hour and 20 minutes or cake tests done.
- Cool on wire rack in pan for 15 minutes.
- Loosen sides, turn out onto cake plate.