Prep 7 mins
Cook 30 mins
I like my granola fruity and nutty but not too sweet. A square or two of these is a hearty breakfast on the go with plenty of protein for staying power. Go ahead and try other jams/preserves if you want to vary the flavors. If you prefer not to use the brandy I suggest apple juice. However it will make the recipe sweeter.
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran or 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup black raspberry preserves, melted
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x9 pan.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, honey, vanilla, and canola oil. Mix thoroughly – it will be evenly moist, but lumpy and a bit stiff.
- Pack about 2/3 of the granola mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Mix brandy with melted blackberry preserves. Pour evenly over the granola mix.
- Top with spoonfuls of the granola mixture.
- Bake at 350 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool and cut into bars or squares as desired.
- Tip -- Melt the preserves in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave on medium power to save getting a pot dirty. But cover it with plastic or a saucer to keep it from spattering.
I made these for the first time the other day. I love them! They remind me of those fat cookies my mom used to buy at the bakerty with the cherry in the middle and the coconut on the outside, except these are bars. I will definitely make them again and they will be an added item to my Christmas baking this year! Thank you for the recipe!
This was really fun to try & easy to put together! I used oat fllour, wheat bran, no pecans & applesauce for the oil. I also use sugar free strawberry jam. I used a spreader to get the dough to spread nice & even which was helpful, especially with the topping! I used vanilla for the brandy since I had none, which seemed to work fine. Healthy & simple-very fun to try! Thanks for sharing.