Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
I came across these and thought these would be a great appetizer dipped in olive oil or served with dinner. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (June 1985)
- Combine 2 cups flour, yeast, salt and pepper in food processor using the steel knife and on/off turns. With machine running pour in 3/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon oil through the feed tube and process until dough clings to slide of workbowl. If the dough is too sticky add extra flour one tablespoon at a time, if too dry add more water one tablespoon at a time until it is right consistency.
- Continue processing dough for 40 seconds until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Knead on floured board for 1 minute.
- Transfer dough to oiled bowl, turning to cover all surfaces. Cover and let dough rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450-degrees F.
- Coast baking sheet with olive oil.
- Roll small pieces (about the size of a walnut) into 10-inch sticks. Arrange on baking sheet, spacing one inch apart.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until brown.
These were a nice change from biscuits or rolls. The pepper gave them a little spice (I used 1/2 tsp), but I feel like they were missing a little something. I did rub butter over the tops while they were warm and that added some flavor. This is a good, easy recipe for breadsticks and I'd like to try them again with some variations. Thanks!