Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I adopted this recipe after Mean Chef (IHHDRO) left the site. I have not yet tried it, but will submit my comments when I get a chance. Recipe by Jean-Georges Vongerichten
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 8 scallions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fermented black beans, rinsed, squeezed, and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 3⁄4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 24 large shrimp, deveined, tails left on
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup pea shoots, chopped (watercress can be substituted)
- 1 cup jicama, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- Black-Pepper Sauce Heat the oil over medium heat in a skillet, add the garlic, ginger, and scallion, and sauté until golden.
- Add the pepper, and cook until it becomes fragrant, then add the remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a blender, and purée until the sauce becomes medium smooth.
- Skewers Heat one side of the grill to medium.
- Cook pineapple on the cool part of the grill until it is lightly caramelized.
- Remove, and assemble the skewers, alternating 2 pieces of shrimp and 3 of pineapple.
- Place over the coals, and grill until the shrimp start to turn pink.
- Brush both sides of the skewers liberally with the black-pepper sauce, and return to the grill to finish cooking.
- Toss the pea shoots and jícama together, and serve with the shrimp skewers.