Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Do not skip the kneading or resting portion of this recipe. They are essential for a light pasta.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 1⁄2 cup flour, for dusting
- 4 jumbo eggs
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely-ground fresh black pepper (grind in a coffee grinder)
- Make a mound of the flour in the center of a large wooden cutting board.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the eggs, oil and pepper.
- Using a fork, beat together the eggs, oil and pepper and begin to incorporate the flour starting with the inner rim of the well.
- As you expand the well, keep pushing the flour up to retain the well shape.
- Do not worry that this initial phase looks messy.
- The dough will come together when half of the flour is incorporated.
- Start kneading the dough with both hands, using the palms of your hands.
- Once you have a cohesive mass, remove the dough from the board and scrape up any leftover crusty bits.
- Discard these bits.
- Lightly flour the board and continue kneading for 3 more minutes.
- The dough should be elastic and a little sticky.
- Continue to knead for another 3 minutes, remembering to dust your board when necessary.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
I am new to pasta making, and this recipe has no instructions for rolling or cooking, so I had to check other sources midstream. The flavor's ok, but the color (due to the pepper) is really unattractive. I don't think I'll make this again.