Recipe by Buster's friend
Plan to have these for noshing with smoked salmon & a bit of bubbly on Christmas eve! Measure peppercorns whole then grind for recipe. From Gourmet magazine 12/06 - serving size based on 4 crisps a serving - likely too low for my crew!
Top Review by Abby Girl
My girlfriend brought these over as part of an appitizer for Christmas. I was really suprised with these as I thought it was something that she brought from her gourmet store...not realizing that she made them. Was I in for a shock! They have a unique taste and are great with any types of heaver dips (spinach, crab, etc.) I highly recommend this recipe
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh cracked black peppercorns
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1⁄2 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, finely grated (2 1/4 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup butter, cold & unsalted & cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, 2 cups cheese, and 1 tablespoon ground black pepper in a large bowl.
- Blend in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk 3 eggs with milk and add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and quarter dough. Using well-floured hands, form each piece into a slightly flattened 12-inch-long log (about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inch high).
- Transfer logs to 2 ungreased large baking sheets, arranging logs about 3 inches apart.
- Whisk remaining egg and brush some over logs, then sprinkle tops of logs evenly with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 1/2 tablespoon ground pepper.
- Bake, rotating sheets 180 degrees and switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until logs are pale golden and firm, about 30 minutes total. Cool logs to warm on sheets on a rack, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
- Carefully transfer 1 warm log to a cutting board and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices with a serrated knife. Arrange slices, cut sides down, in 1 layer on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining logs, transferring slices to sheets.
- Bake, turning over once, until golden and crisp, 35 to 45 minutes total. Cool biscotti on baking sheets on racks, about 15 minutes.