3 hrs 5 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
This is the most delicious, tender prime rib I have ever eaten. The garlic butter paste helps to hold in the juices. The au jus keeps it wonderfully moist on your plate and is so easy to prepare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 lbs standing rib roast, top fat trimmed
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1Place roast fat side up in roasting pan and brush exposed ends with vegetable oil.
- 2With food processor on, drop garlic cloves in until minced, then add steak seasoning and butter and process until combined well.
- 3Spread this mixture all over top of roast.
- 4Preheat oven to 350° and bake to medium rare or medium (will take about 2 hours and 45 minutes for medium rare).
- 5Remove roast from oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 30 minutes.
- 6To prepare au jus, melt butter in saucepan and saute shallots until soft.
- 7Add flour and whisk, then add consomme and simmer over low heat until ready to serve.
- 8Slice prime rib and serve the au jus in a separate bowl.
- 9Note: the au jus will not thicken, the flour just gives it a little body.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Pepper Crusted Prime Rib With Au Jus
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1686.6
- Calories from Fat 1328
- Total Fat 147.6 g
- Saturated Fat 64.0 g
- Cholesterol 364.7 mg
- Sodium 1135.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 80.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
standing rib roast
McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning