Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Mustard and black pepper in a crisp, delicate cracker. Yum! Serve on their own, or use as a base for salmon and cream cheese.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons crushed black peppercorns
- 5 1⁄2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl (or the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade). Stir in pepper. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, beat the egg with the mustard and water. Add to flour mixture and stir or process until dough forms a ball.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Use interesting cutters to cut out crackers. (Or cut into diamonds.) Arrange 1/4-inch apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake one sheet at a time at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to racks to cool completely.