1/10 Photos of Black Pepper Butter Cookies
These are my absolute favorite cookies. A friend in college had received a huge tin of homemade cookies from her mother and a version of these cookies were inside, along with many other types of cookies. I had never heard of black pepper cookies before and loved the unique flavor-sweet & buttery, with a slight kick from the pepper. I searched for years to find the recipe and finally found it in a Watkins spices cookbook several years ago. I make these every year for the holidays and everyone always wants to know the secret of my "vanilla flecked" butter cookies. Update: Eggs sizes seem to be shrinking, so depending upon the size of the eggs in your area, you may need to use an XL egg rather than a large. Regarding the pepper: fresh ground will produce huge grains of pepper and make things far too peppery and savory tasting. Please use finely ground pre-ground black pepper in this recipe, carefully measured using a measuring spoon and leveled off.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix all ingredients (except for the extra sugar for dipping the glass) together well using a heavy duty mixer.
- 2Roll into 1/2 inch size balls-you will need three large ungreased cookie sheets, 16 balls per sheet.
- 3Use the flat base of a drinking glass that has been dipped into sugar to flatten each dough ball on the cookie sheets.
- 4Bake in a preheated 350 F (or 180 C) oven for 8-11 minutes or until lighly browned on the edges- do not overbake.
- 5Remove to wire racks to cool.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Pepper Butter Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (770 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 73.2
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 14.0 mg
- Sodium 28.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 0.7 g