Prep 8 mins
Cook 12 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, from cookingclub.com. Baking powder biscuits scream "Southern". These are best served warm or directly from the oven. This version has LOTS of CRACKED PEPPER. Cracked black pepper can be purchased in the spice aisle. To crack your own, place whole peppercorns in heavy resealable plastic bag; seal bag, then pound with flat side of meat mallet until coarsely chopped.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut up
- 1 cup cold whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, pepper and salt.
- With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in 1/2 cup of the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some pea-sized pieces.
- Stir in milk just until soft dough forms.
- On lightly floured surface, pat or gently roll out dough to 3/4" thickness.
- With floured biscuit cutter, cut into 2" rounds, pushing straight down and pulling up without twisting cutter.
- Place biscuits on baking sheets.
- Press scraps together to use all the dough.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Brush over tops of biscuits.
- Bake biscuits 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown on tops and golden brown on bottoms.
- Cool briefly on wire rack.
I made a half amount with no sweetening at all and they were great. Used as the biscuit base for a down home dinner of biscuits and sausage gravy. So savory, so fluffy, so down right delicious. Not hard to make either, always a plus. Thanks for this one Kate.
Making bread or biscuits is not an easy thing for me but this recipe worked out well. I used the food processor and couldnt find biscuit cutters so used a glass about that size. Loved the pepper flavor and how moist and fluffy the biscuits turned out. Made and reviewed for the 2014 Culinary Quest - Family Picks.
WOW, did we ever love these simple biscuits. Never tried them with cracked pepper before, certainly will from now on. These delicious little treats were quick and easy to make, with ingredients always found in the pantry. We really enjoyed the flavor and the texture, crispy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. Made for Culinary Quest 2014 - Family Picks - Suitcase Gourmets.