Recipe by Sharon123
These are so easy. They are comical to look at, as they pop up tall out of the pan like a bread version of a jack-in-the-box. They have a rustic, crunchy exterior, and a delicate and light interior. And you could probably flavor them with any combination of herbs or spices you want. From Menu Musings.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (1/3 cup whole wheat flour could replace 1/3 of the all purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature (I use soy or almond milk)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons melted cooled butter (plus 1 tsp room temp for pan)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven and popover pan to 400°F
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Process the mix for 30 seconds.
- Divide 1 tsp room temperature butter between the 6 popover tins.
- Pour the batter immediately into the pans. It should come at least halfway up the pans.
- Bake them for 35 minutes.