1/2 Photos of Black Pepper and Bacon Drop Biscuits
This is one variation of a Cook's Illustrated recipe for Best Drop Biscuits. As usual, details abound in the directions which suits me, a nervous baker, to a tee.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing tops of biscuits
- 1Cut bacon in half lengthwise and then crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces; fry in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5-7 minutes. Transfer pieces to a paper towel and cool.
- 2Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 3Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in bacon pieces.
- 4In a medium bowl, combine cold buttermilk and 8 tablespoons melted butter, stirring until butter forms small clumps.
- 5***This may look like a mistake, but it's one of the secrets of this recipe. The clumps of butter are similar to small bits of cold butter in biscuits prepared by the traditional method. As the butter melts during baking, the steam helps the biscuits rise and gives them a light and fluffy interior.
- 6Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just incorporated and batter pulls away from sides of bowl.
- 7Using a 1/4-cup dry measure, scoop level amounts of batter and drop onto baking sheet (biscuits should measure about 2 1/4-inches in diameter and 1 1/4-inch high). Space biscuits 1 1/2-inces apart.
- 8Bake until the tops are golden brown and crisp, 12-14 minutes.
- 9Remove from oven and brush tops with melted butter. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
- 10Bring on the gravy!
- 11### Other variations - omit the bacon and pepper and add:.
- 12Cheddar Scallion - 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions.
- 13Parmesan Rosemary- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 1/2 teaspoons finely minced rosemary.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Pepper and Bacon Drop Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.9
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 33.9 mg
- Sodium 389.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 4.2 g