Recipe by Um Safia
This recipe is absolutely fantastic! It comes originally from the Martha Stewart site but I tweaked it a touch. These truffles are so striking, they make wonderful favors if you put them in a clear cello bag with ribbon or in a favor box. You can also incorporate them into your table decor........ Time to make doesn't include chilling or setting time of around 2 hours.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 lb semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup orange and black candy sprinkles, for decorating
- 1⁄2 cup orange and black sanding sugar, for decorating (or colour granulated sugar with liquid food colouring)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring cream, butter, and honey to a boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat. Add chocolate & orange zest and gently swirl pan to cover chocolate with cream.
- Slowly whisk until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover, and refrigerate. Stir mixture every 15 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, mixture will thicken quickly, so stir every 3 to 5 minutes until set but still pliable, 10 to 20 minutes more (total chilling time is 55 to 65 minutes.)
- Refrigerate until firm but not hard, about 10 minutes. Remove from refrigerator, and roll balls in palms to smooth. Refrigerate, in an airtight container, layered between pieces of parchment or waxed paper, until ready to decorate. You can use a melon baller or tiny ice cream scoop to help.
- Remove balls from refrigerator. Place sprinkles and sanding sugar in separate small bowls. Dip balls into sprinkles or sanding sugar to coat, pressing sprinkles to adhere.
- Truffles can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.