Prep 30 mins
Cook 1224 hrs
Once you've brined your own olives you'll never go back. If you are lucky enough to have access to fresh ones do try this recipe. You may find them in Turkish or Greek grocery shops if they don't grow naturally in your area.
- 2 kg raw olives
- 280 g coarse salt
- 125 ml white wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves
- 15 ml pickling spices
- 2 -3 hot chili peppers
- 2 -3 sprigs thyme
- 125 ml olive oil
- Slit the olives down one side.
- Cover with cold water and leave to soak for 17 days to eliminate bitterness.
- Change the water every day, then soak in salt water for 3 days, stirring occasionally.
- You make the salt water by mixing the salt with enough water so an egg will float in the brine solution.
- Drain, then soak for 3 days in 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water, making sure the olives are covered at all times.
- Drain and add the garlic, pickling spice, chillies and thyme.
- Pack in sterile jars and pour on olive oil to cover.
- Seal and leave for at least 4 weeks.
- The oil will take on an olive taste and can be used in salads.