Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Enjoy this delicious vegetarian Paté with slices of fresh crusty baguette and a Glass of chilled Muscadet! From the book" The French Farmhouse Kitchen" by Eileen Reece. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces black olives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried powdered thyme, or
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried powdered rosemary
- 3 crushed juniper berries
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove
- Crush the olives lightly with the end of a bottle to free the stones from the flesh. With a sharp, pointed knife remove the stones and chop the flesh finely. Add powdered thyme or rosemary and crushed juniper.
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic and pound to a paste in a mortar with the olive flesh. Alternatively mince in a food processor until a very smooth paste is obtained.
- Now work in the softened butter, a little at the time until all is thoroughly blended to a smooth cream. Test for seasoning, add more herbs if necessary.
- Pack the paté into an earthenware bowl, cover and chill until required.