Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Recipe is from Crisco.
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) package Martha White yellow cornbread mix
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup corn kernel, thawed if frozen
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced black olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 links about 6 oz. mexican chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons martha white all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- chopped green onion
- diced avocado
- crumbled tortilla chips
- chopped tomato
- sliced fresh lime
- HEAT oven to 400º F. Spray 9-inch Lodge cast iron wedge pan generously with no-stick cooking spray. Place in oven 6 to 7 minutes or until hot. Beat egg in large bowl. Add buttermilk, cornbread mix, 2 tablespoons melted butter, corn and olives. Mix thoroughly. Pour evenly into wedges in hot pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and keep warm.
- MEANWHILE, melt 2 tablespoons butter in 10-inch Lodge cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Crumble chorizo in skillet. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until brown. Remove mixture to small bowl. Set aside. Wipe out skillet with paper towel.
- RETURN skillet to medium heat. Melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add flour. Whisk until mixure is golden. Add milk, tomatoes and paprika. Whisk about 3 minutes, or until thickened. Add chorizo mixture to gravy.
- TO SERVE, place wedge of conrbread on each plate, top with 1/2 cup chorizo tomato gravy. Garnish with green onion, avocado, tortilla chips, chopped tomatoes and/or a squeeze of lime juice.