Recipe by TxGriffLover
In ancient Rome, garum was a pungent all-purpose condiment made from fermented anchovies, not unlike present-day Asian fish sauce. In modern Catalonia, the name refers to a spread similar to the French tapenade made of olives, anchovies, capers, sometimes mashed egg yolks, and either olive oil or butter. This recipe, flavored with rum and a touch of mustard, is adapted from the one served at the Hotel Ampurdan in Figueres. The hotel is legendary for its robust Catalan cooking and credited with naming this spread 'garum'. Try to find olives that are pungent, but not vinegary and briny. The spread is delicious on toasted baguette rounds or slices of grilled country bread. It also makes a fine accompaniment to grilled meat, chicken or fish. Adapted from the cookbook, "The New Spanish Table"
- 2 cups pitted black olives, such as nicoise (see note)
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped and mashed with a fork
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed with a garlic press
- 1 large hard-cooked egg yolk, mashed with a fork
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (or brandy)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons fragrant extra virgin olive oil
- grilled bread, toast or breadstick, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the olives, anchovies, capers, garlic, egg yolk, rum and mustard in a food processor and process in quick pulses to a medium-fine paste, scraping down the side of the bowl as needed. Gradually add the olive oil, pulsing several times after each addition. Scrape the mixture into a bowl and let stand at room temperature for about 1 hour so that the flavors develop. Serve with grilled bread, toast or bread sticks. The spread can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 2 weeks.
- Note: if the only pitted olives you can find are Kalamatas, soak them briefly in cold water and use fewer capers and anchovies. To pit olives, place them in a plastic bag. Lay the bag on a flat surface, and crush them lightly with the flat side of a large knife, mallet or heavy skillet. Then pick out and discard the pits. Cooking time includes standing time.