Recipe by RenMyr
This recipe is from the Betty Crocker Cookbook..circa 1974. It has been served at many happy occasions in our family, birthdays, etc.
Top Review by Carolynsss
This is absolutely the best chocolate cake ever. I have been making this cake for over 40 years though you could not tell it by my looks! LOL I have used butter for shortening at times. Hard to believe it is made with water. Try it, I think you will adopt it into your favorite recipes. Got to go now and make it again for the umpteenth time!
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (do not use self-rising flour) or 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour (do not use self-rising flour)
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs (1/3 to 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour pans. 13x9x2 or two 9 inch or three 8 inch round layer pans. Measure all ingredients into large mixer bowl.Blend 1/2 minute on low speed, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan(s).
- Bake oblong about 45 minutes, layers 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick insterted in center comes out clean. Cool.
- Frost with your favorite frosting or just sprinkle powdered sugar on top.