Recipe by Shirl in OK
We like this cake because it's a dark dense cake with a different texture than most chocolate cakes. Very good served with a dip of vanilla ice cream. I cut this from a magazine and have made it many times.
Top Review by magnoliamay
This is, hands down, the BEST chocolate cake I have ever tasted or made in my entire life.
I made two alterations. I used dark chocolate syrup and Hershey's Special Dark chocolate baking cocoa. I was skeptical about no frosting. But the powdered sugar was a perfect touch.
I do not have a bundt pan so I baked it in a glass 9x13 pan for 1 hour 20 minutes. It is PERFECTION. I wish I would have found this recipe years ago.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, cut up
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate syrup
- 8 (2 1/2 ounce) Milky Way bars, cut up
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease a 12 cup Bundt Pan.
- In 4qt.
- microwave safe bowl, combine butter, syrup and candy bars, heat 5 1/2 minutes on medium (50% power) whisking once.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in sugar, then buttermilk, vanilla and eggs.
- Stir in flour, cocoa, salt and soda.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out almost clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Loosen cake from pan, invert onto rack to cool.
- After cake has completely cooled sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- (The cake is so rich it needs no icing).