An interesting cake that makes good use of brewed coffee and buttermilk.
Make and share this Black Magic Cake recipe from Food.com.
For the cake
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the frosting
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 9 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 8 tablespoons milk, warmed
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 10 x 13 inch cake pan.
- In a large bowl combine the first 6 ingredients (flour - salt).
- In a small bowl beat eggs and add the next 4 ingredients (coffee - vanilla).
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into a prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool while preparing frosting.
- To make frosting: melt the chocolate and butter in a doube boiler over simmering water or melt chocolate in microwave.
- Pour melted chocolate into a mixing bowl and beat in sugar alternately with the milk, beating until fluffy and then add the salt and vanilla, beating until desired consistency is reached (you may need to add more sugar).
- Spread frosting on cooled cake.
I made this cake for family that came in, I substituted Splenda for the sugar, it tasted delicious. Living with a diabetic he can have small portions of it but without the sugar content... Great cake, thanks for sharing!!
I have made this cake three times, and each time it has been delicious! I've done a few variations, one of my biggest hits being a version with instant espresso in the cake batter, and Nutella as a filling. All three times the cake was consumed within minutes of being presented. The base recipe is perfect the way it is, and very versatile. One suggestion to anyone living in a warmer environment is to chill the frosting before and after you ice the cake. Thank you so much for posting this!!
My go-to chocolate cake recipe now! Everyone loves it, it is so moist and so easy to make! Btw, I didn't even ice it, it was that good!