Recipe by Sackville
You'll want to dunk lots of crusty bread in this very healthy soup.
Top Review by Slickysu
This is my girlfriend and I's first bean soup together. It was great, but lose that huge amount of lemon zest. Thank you so much for sharing the only black lentil soup recipe on this site. We will make again. Great with pecorino.
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 unwaxed lemon, zested
- 50 g mushrooms, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 200 g black lentils
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon flour
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Tip the lentils into a sieve and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- In a large pot, briskly fry the bacon in the oil until the fat runs and it starts to get crispy.
- Stir in the onion and garlic, lower the heat slightly and cook until the onion starts to soften.
- Stir in the carrots and lemon zest and cook, stirring often, for another five minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and bay leaf.
- Cook for another couple minutes, then add the red pepper and lentils.
- Stir in the vinegar.
- Sift the flour over the top and stir until it disappears.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil, stirring to make sure the flour is completely mixed in.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for 25 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
- You may need to add a bit more liquid along the way.
- Stir in the parsley and serve.