Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe was posted years ago in the Houston Post. Very delicious! I end up using a little less of the beef base since it seems a little to salty and I cook the carrots in the microwave.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 2⁄3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 ounces about 2 1/2 tbsp. beef base
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Saute beef, onion, celery and garlic in a large pan until well done, strain off fat.
- Boil potatoes until fork tender, drain and mash with butter.
- Blanch carrots and add to beef mixture.
- Make a gravy in a small sauce pan with beef base and water, whisk in enough flour to thicken, about 2 tablespoons.
- When gravy comes to a boil, add to beef carrot mixture, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish. Spoon potatoes on top. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Top with cheese and let set until cheese melts about 5 minutes.