Recipe by Annacia
If your looking for something special and calories aren't an issue, I don't think you can do better than this soup as a meal starter.
Top Review by breezermom
Amazing! As others have mentioned....there is a lot of butter in this. But I went ahead and used it (this was so delicious, I'm glad I did!), then used half-and-half instead of cream. I used a mix of baby portabellos, oyster, and shiitake mushrooms. The subtle nuances from the spices are wonderful....A definite make again recipe! Thanks for sharing! Made for PRMR Tag.
- 3⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup minced green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups hot beef stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup beaujolais wine
- 1 cup cooked barley
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute mushrooms, green peppers, onion and garlic in butter about 5 minutes.
- Add flour, stir and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add hot stock, then seasonings.
- Heat whipping cream (do not boil) and add to soup. Continue cooking while adding wine.
- Stir in barley.
- Note: Serve with fresh sourdough bread.