2 hrs 22 mins
2 hrs 6 mins
Entered for safe-keeping. Adapted from CIA Culinary Intelligence (Culinary Institute of America). Their Black Jack Barbecue Sauce has been scaled down to 2 cups to fit this recipe. Modified their 1/8 cup chili powder to equivalent of Dee514's No-Salt Chili Powder #38558. Preparation time includes 2 hours marination time, so I did not add additional cooking time for the barbecue sauce to be made in the interim. Apple cider, coffee, Worcestershire sauce, and jalapeno -- isn't that a different combo! I'd say this dish nods to Cajun roots.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml apple cider
- 118.29 ml cider vinegar
- 14.79 ml shallot, minced
- 14.79 ml garlic, minced
- 4.92 ml salt (Don's Flavor Enhancer With Very Low Sodium #334780) or 4.92 ml no-salt no-potassium salt substitute (Don's Flavor Enhancer With Very Low Sodium #334780)
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
BLACK JACK BARBECUE SAUCE
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced small
- 14.79 ml garlic, minced
- 22.18 ml paprika
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 0.59 ml cayenne
- 14.79 ml jalapeno, minced (or to taste)
- 118.29 ml tomato paste
- 118.29 ml brewed strong coffee
- 118.29 ml Worcestershire sauce (preferably Lea & Perrins, use low-sodium version to reduce sodium somewhat)
- 59.14 ml apple cider vinegar
- 59.14 ml brown sugar, lightly packed
- 59.14 ml apple cider or 59.14 ml unsweetened apple juice
- 2Combine ingredients in a zip-close bag. Add chicken pieces and seal the bag, pressing out the air. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 and up to 12 hours.
- 3BARBECUE SAUCE:.
- 4Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy 2-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- 5Add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- 6Add the chili powder ingredients (paprika, oregano, cumin, turmeric, garlic powder, and cayenne), and the minced jalapeno, and saute for 1 minute.
- 7Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- 8Add the rest of the BBQ sauce ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes.
- 9Use immediately, or let cool to room temperature before storing in a clean, covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- 10COOK CHICKEN:.
- 11Preheat a gas grill to medium-high; leave one burner off. If you are using a charcoal grill, build a fire and let it burn down until the coals are glowing red with a moderate coating of white ash.
- 12Remove the chicken from the marinade, letting any excess drain off.
- 13Season chicken with remaining salt and pepper.
- 14Grill chicken over direct heat until marked on all sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- 15Finish cooking the chicken over indirect heat, covered, turning every few minutes and brushing with the barbecue sauce, until the chicken is cooked through (165F/74C) and the juices run clear, 10-15 minutes more.
- 16Serve on a heated platter or plates.
Browse Our Top Sweet Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sweet Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Jack Chicken Breasts on the Grill - CIA
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.2
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 92.8 mg
- Sodium 985.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 31.5 g