Prep 6 hrs
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is from the 'Thursday' magazine. The recipe was submitted by Diana Cherian P. The number of servings is a wild guess as she didnt mention anything. The preparation time includes the time of keeping the batter aside.
- Add 2 cups of water to the flour and knead well to make a soft dough.
- Add another 18 cups of water to the dough and make a loose batter.
- Strain the batter and keep aside for a few hours.
- Drain off the clear water from the top.
- Melt molasses in 3 cups of water.
- Strain and keep aside.
- Extract milk from the grated coconut, adding 6 cups of water.
- Keep aside.
- Pour the flour batter, molasses syrup and the coconut milk into a pan.
- The consistency of the mixture should be like that of fresh milk.
- Boil the mixture stirring constantly.
- When it is quite thick, add half the ghee and continue to stir.
- Add ghee in small quantities now and then until the mixture is almost one lump.
- Now add nutmeg and cardamom powder and also 1/2 the cashewnuts.
- Stir well and remove from flame when the ghee leaves the sides.
- Spread the halwa on a greased tray.
- Sprinkle cashew nuts on top.
- Cut into desired shapes when cool.