An "everything but the kitchen sink" concoction I made from leftover Jerk Turkey we bought from a Caribbean restaurant and other Thanksgiving leftovers (thus the name Black Friday). I wanted to make a soup with a Caribbean flair. I used homemade stock I made with the turkey bones but storebought will work just as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons caribbean jerk seasoning (I used Grace's dried Jerk Seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, 1/2 inch diced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, drained with juice reserved
- 1/2 cup ginger wine or 1/2 cup white wine or 1/2 cup ginger beer
- 8 cups chicken stock or 8 cups turkey stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cups cooked turkey, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups cooked collard greens (leftover or canned, collards mustard turnip kale)
- 1 lb whole kernel corn (frozen or leftover)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1/4 cup Goya mojo juice
- lime wedge, for garnish
- fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- 1In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat, sauté onions and bell peppers, add gingerroot and garlic.
- 2Add spices and stir until fragrant (30 seconds).
- 3add sweet potatoes and stir until slightly browned. Add drained tomatoes.
- 4Add wine or beer to deglaze pan simmer 3 minutes,.
- 5add reserved tomato juice and stock, bring to a boil.
- 6add bay leaves, turkey, greens, beans, and corn.
- 7Bring back to a boil, lower to simmer.
- 8add limejuice and mojo and cook until potatoes are soft (about 30-40 minutes).
- 9Ladle soup in bowl and garnish with lime slice and chopped cilantro.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Friday Jerk Turkey Soup
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.5
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 18.8 mg
- Sodium 323.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 12.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
caribbean jerk seasoning
Goya mojo juice